Monday, November 21, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011


Today I embarked on my annual Thanksgiving trip to see my dad and family in mountainous New Mexico. I love this trip. There’s nothing more relaxing than waking up to the smell of pine trees and crisp mountain air - and who could miss the hustle and bustle of DC traffic? Not me. This trip is especially meaningful to me because I rarely get to see my half brother and sister – whom just yesterday it seems, were crawling on the floor. Today they are in the 4th and 1st grade. Yes, we truly are the “Modern” family, which, isn’t just my favorite TV show.  I actually do live this life. I love spending time with them.

I will miss D and the boys very much on Thursday –but am looking forward to having two Thanksgivings! And can already taste the bacon wrapped turkey he’ll be prepping for us upon my arrival back in DC this weekend.
So in honor of Thanksgiving – I realize I do have so much to be thankful for:
·         For D and the boys – and for how supportive he has been and continues to be of me. And for the boys  - who continue to teach me more about life than I think I could ever teach them;
·         For my family, especially my mom and how she continues to look out for me and support me from so far away – despite our differences;
·         For my step-mom  - who remains one of my closest friends and confidants;
·         For my half-brother and sister who make life so much fun and who have allowed me to re-live childhood all over again;  
·         For all of my friends, near and far. I am so blessed with some of the greatest friends on the planet;
·         For the time, energy and resources to be able to start riding horses again. My passion has been riding and caring for horses since I was a little girl – and I am so thankful and lucky to be able to continue with my riding;
·         For my job and the work that I have come to do over the years. I feel very lucky to have built such an exciting career and for the opportunity to have had such a great education;
·         For the opportunity to have traveled to so many different destinations around the world;
·         For my freedom – Today on my flight from DC there were two Army Special Forces men traveling in uniform and I was reminded that our freedom comes with a price. It was such a wonderful site to watch complete strangers walk up to these men and thank them for their service as they sat awaiting their flight in the airport terminal. Thank you to all who have served or who are serving!
Happy Thanksgiving week to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment